Sponsor a Guinea Pig – January

Posted in Medical, Sanctuary Spotlight at 2:01 pm by Jenn

Our very own Pinball is the pig of the month for Sponsor a Guinea Pig in January!  We are pleased and honored that we were choPinballsen to be January’s rescue.

Pinball was in again today for dental surgery (his incisors had overgrown horrendously since his first tooth trim on December 10th), and we got some extremely bad news for him.  His molars had also overgrown — and not only overgrew, but overgrew enough to trap his tongue!  Because of the speed with which they overgrew since his intial trim, his prognosis is not looking very good.  We have elected to go ahead and trim him back down to “zero”, to attempt massaging and possibly purchase a chin sling for him, and to give this guinea pig the chance that he didn’t get the first go-round.

We ask that you keep Pinball in your thoughts.  There has been an outpouring of love and support from all across the country, and we are touched and amazed that one little pig has meant so much to so many people.   As always, at ACR&S, we try to make the best choices for all of our animals, and sadly acknowledge that sometimes the best choice is a gentle end.  Be assured as we struggle to make the best choice for Pinball, our hearts are always looking to what is best for him in the long run.  Thank you again, everyone, for all the kindness that you’ve shown to a spunky little pig that got a second chance.

1. Karen said,

January 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

I hope Pinball will do ok and hope you can find a vet to work with him. Please keep me updated. I had a guinea pig Rodney who had this same problem in the late 90s. He had bad molars from the day I brought him home from a petshop. I found a kind caring vet in Durham, NC. Dr Alton at Northpaw animal hospital. She would put him under and trim his teeth every month for only 35.00!! That helped save his life. She had only done rabbits at the time I found her but she found the guinea pigs teeth to be no problem to work on. I showed her the instruments from The CCT and she bought those. I had received a 250.00 + quote for this same treatment from the exotic animal vet in raleigh. I could not afford that but talked to a few vets and finally found DR. Alton.
    Could someone from the durham area possibly adopt him and bring him to DR. Alton? You could tell her Karen Paschall who used to bring Rodney to her recommended her for this. I wish I was still in that area.
    Rodney lived for about 4 years. He sometimes had trouble picking up food so I would mash food in the blender for him. I mixed pellets water banannas and other veggies. Occasionaly critical care when his weight would drop. He developed a hige golfball sized cyst on the side of his face from the molars and dr Alton drained and flushed it for me. I kept flushing and compressing it for 6 months and kept him on the smz antibiotic until it finally healed. He had lots of problems but he loved life. He would run around the house and jump in to the cages of other pig rescues to visit with them. He followed me around like a puppy and was quite a character.

2. Jenn said,

January 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Karen, thank you for your kind wishes for Pinball, we appreciate them greatly! Pinball is a sanctuary animal because of his special needs — he is not available for adoption. ACR&S currently has, and has had in the past, guinea pigs that have needed molar trims, and our vet is quite comfortable doing this. However, Pinball’s problem is not just that he requires these trims (once a month is fairly normal — Andrea’s Maddie [a lethal] goes in every 4 weeks for molar trims), but how frequently he needs them because he doesn’t seem to be wearing his teeth down at all.

As of today, Pinball’s teeth are already out of alignment again (with his bottom incisors touching the top gumline once again) and it has only been five days since his last trim. A weekly anesthetizing for tooth trimming in conjunction with his other difficulties (ongoing eye infection, head tilt, weaving, blindess, deafness) is what makes his case so difficult. Tooth problems alone are not that serious, but he has so many problems going on that it’s becoming difficult to “get ahead” of them, so to speak.

Thank you again for kind wishes for Pinball, and we’ll post an update soon!

3. Petal said,

January 11, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Aww! How Cute! What an adorable little creature! Prayers to him. 🙂

4. Petal said,

January 11, 2010 at 6:37 pm

That little guinea pig is one cutie! Please give him some TLC for me. I hear that guinea pigs with jaw problems like softer food. My guinea pig once had a chipped tooth, and when the mouth of a rodent is sore, they should eat some soft, nutritious food. Peel a strawberry, they love it. hope all goes well! 😀

5. Karen said,

February 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I am saddened to read about the passing of pinball. This story hit so close to home since he reminded me so much of my Rodney mentioned above. They both passed the same way. Rodney passed about 2am after a tooth trimming. He never seemed to really get over the anestetic that day from the tooth trim. May he Rest in Peace and I hope he is in heaven happy and free from pain. Thank you for taking care of him and trying to help.

6. Jenn said,

August 2, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Awww… poor Pinball! This strikes close to home, as I am currently hand feeding one my own piggies, Frenzy, due to malocclusion which has led to her developing an abscess down to the jawbone. She is doing quite poorly and I don’t think she is going to make it in spite of my feeding her hourly with a syringe. It sucks when bad things happen to loved pets. 🙁